Posted by Michael Franklin
Additional Information: One of my kids will graduate from college in the spring.   He says if he doesn’t get a job right out of school, he won’t be able to pay rent on his apartment in Shrewsbury.  Of course, I’m going to try to help him as much as possible. My question is, the Divorce Settlement Agreement says kids are emancipated upon completion of a four year degree. Can I stop paying the court ordered child support when he graduates or must I file something with the Worcester Courts?


Minor children principally dependent on the custodial parent and the non-custodial parent while attending college on a full time basis become emancipated upon graduating from college. However, if they have not graduated, they are considered legally emancipated on their 23rd birthday regardless of whether they graduate or not. You will no longer be legally liable to pay child support beyond graduation. Therefore, yes, you may stop paying child support upon your child graduating from college. 

Shrewsbury Child Support Attorney, Michael Franklin, provides legal representation to individuals  in Shrewsbury and throughout Worcester county including the communities of:  West Boylston, Grafton, Auburn, Millbury, Leicester, Paxton, and Holden.

Attorney Michael Franklin
Shrewsbury Child Support Lawyer
5 State Street, Suite 1F
Worcester, MA 01609